Last updated on December 12th, 2016 at 05:48 pm
Introduction to Oracle sql decode
Oracle sql decode is the method in Oracle database to transform data values for one value to another which is better to understand.Decode transform data values at retrieval time.
It is a type of If then else for the processing
The code block for Oracle sql Decode is below
decode(expression or column name, match, result [,match, result]…[,default] )
Here are the meaning for terms in above code
a) expression or column is the value to compare
b) match is the value that is compared against expression
c) result is the value returned, if expression is equal to match
d) default is optional. If no matches are found, the decode will return default. If default is omitted, then the decode statement will return NULL (no matches found).
Here is the algorithm to better understand it
1) Oracle retrieve the column value of Phase code
2) if Phase code = ‘P’ then Pending
3) if Phase code = ‘C’ then Completed
4) if Phase code = ‘T’ then Terminated
5) if Phase code = ‘S’ then Standby
6) If Phase code is neither of the above ,the decode returns Unknown
7) If default is not present it will give null
Note that Oracle decode starts by specifying the column name or expression , followed by set of matched-pairs of transformation values. At the end of the decode statement we find a default value. The default value tells decode what to display if a column values is not in the paired list.
We could say the algorithm like this way
|if (expr == search1)
elseif (expr == search2)
…elseif (expr == searchn)
Some More points to remember for Oracle Decode
1)In a DECODE function, Oracle considers two nulls to be equivalent. If expr is null, then Oracle returns the result of the first search that is also null.
2) The maximum number of components in the DECODE function, including expr, searches, results, and default, is 255.
FAQ about Oracle sql Decode processing
- We have seen that expr being equated to specified values,Can we use unequality operator like > or < ?
Lets take an example
|SELECT DECODE(salary,< 50000, sal + 1000, sal + 500) Final_salary FROM emp;
ERROR at line 2:
ORA-00936: missing expression
So we cannot use that. We need to use case statement to do it. or we can sign function in decode to achieve it
|SELECT DECODE(sign(salary- 50000), -1,sal + 1000, sal + 500) Final_salary
Basically we need to convert our requirement to some formula which can evaluate to some value
2) How to compare two column values using oracle decode?
|SELECT col1,col2 decode( abs(col1-col2), 0, ‘col1 = col2’,
Col1-col2, ‘col1 > col2’,
‘col1 < col2’)