Here is part-2 of the Series Top 100 Hyperion Essbase Interview questions and Answers
26) Can we start and stop an application individually. How can this be used to increase performance?
Yes. We can manage our server resources by starting only the applications which receive heavy user traffic. When an application is started, all associated databases are brought to the memory.
27) What are LRO’s( Linked Reporting Objects)?
They are specific objects like files, cell notes, or URLs associated with specific data cells of the Essbase database. You can link multiple objects to a single data cell. These linked objects are stored in the server. These LRO’s can be exported or imported with the database for backup and migration activities.
28) What is UDA (user-defined attributes). How are they different than Aliases.
Answer UDA represents the class of the members. Aliases are just another name of the members. both are different and have different usage.
29) Can we query a member for its UDA in a calculation script.
Yes. You can query a member for its UDA in a calculation script.
30) While loading the data, you have applied both the selection criteria as well as rejection criteria to the same record. What will be the outcome?
The record will be rejected.
31) What is hybrid analysis?
Lower-level members and associated data remain in the relational database whereas upper-level members and associated data reside in the Essbase database.
32) How to create an Essbase application?
- a) Open Essbase Administrative Services 11.1.12.
- b) Enter the username and password to Logon into the Administration Server.
- c) Inside Essbase select Application and then select Create application,
- d) Either Block or Aggregate and name it.
- e) Select the application and choose the option create the DATABASE And name it.
- f) Select “outline à Edit”
- g) Using left click select “Add Child”. Similarly add required child and sibling as required and configure dimension and member property.
- h) database and using left click “Create à Rule File”.
- e) Select that database and using left click “load data à Select data file and rule file”
33) What are the different types of attributes?
Essbase supports two different types of attributes.
1. User-Defined attributes
2. Simple attributes
User-Defined attributes: The attributes that are defined by the user.
Simple attributes: Essbase supports some attributes, which are: Boolean, date, number, and string.
34) What are filters?
A method of controlling access to database cells in Essbase. A filter is the most detailed level of security, allowing you to define varying access levels different users can have to individual database values.
35) Why is top-down calculation less efficient than bottom-up calculation? Being less efficient, why do we use them.
In the process, it calculates more blocks than is necessary. Sometimes it is necessary to perform a top-down calculations to get the correct calculation results.
36) What does never consolidate operator (^) do?
It prevents members from being consolidated across any dimension.
37) What are the different types of LOG Files?
The important log files are
1. Application log
38) What is TB First and TB Last?
TB First: in the Sample Basic database, the accounts member Opening Inventory is tagged as TB First. Opening Inventory consolidates the value of the first month in each quarter and uses that value for that month’s parent. For example, the value for Qtr1 is the same as the value for Jan.
TB Last: in the Sample Basic database, the accounts member Ending Inventory is tagged as TB Last. Ending Inventory consolidates the value for the last month in each quarter and uses that value for that month’s parent. For example, the value for Qtr1 is the same as the value for Mar.
39) How do you optimize the outline?
Usually, the outline is optimized using the hourglass design for dimension ordering i.e.,
· Dimension with Accounts tag
· Dimension with Time tag
· Largest Dense dimension
· Smallest dense dimension
· Smallest Sparse dimension
· Largest Sparse dimension
40) What are the ways to improve performance during data loads?
There are several ways to optimize load
- Grouping of Sparse member combinations
2. Making the data source as small as possible
3. Making source fields as small as possible
4. Positioning the data in the same order as the outline
5. Loading from Essbase Server
6. Managing parallel data load processing
41) What are the design considerations for calculation optimization?
You can configure a database to optimize calculation performance. The best configuration for the site depends on the nature and size of the database.
· Block Size (8Kb to 100Kb) and Block Density
· Order of Sparse Dimensions
· Incremental Data Loading
· Database Outlines with Two or More Flat Dimensions
· Formulas and Calculation Scripts
42) What is SmartView?
It is a Web-deployed thin client that is embedded in a client spreadsheet application and Enables you to retrieve data and create ad hoc reports and it Provides integration with Microsoft Office products. This provides a single Excel interface to analyze data
43) What is an outline?
The outline is a Tree structure for dimension hierarchies and it also contains Consolidations and mathematical relationships between members
44) What are applications and databases in Essbase?
|Contain databases and shared scripts |
Reside on the server where Essbase Server is installed
Run application server processes
|Are repositories for multidimensional analytic data |
Contain database objects and security definitions
45) We have created an application in Unicode mode. Can we change it later to non-Unicode mode?
46) What are the specified roles other than Administrator to view sessions, disconnect sessions, or kill users’ requests for a particular application?
Answer You should have the role of Application manager for the specified application
47) What are the different types of Essbase cache?
48) I have write access to one dimension, other dimensions I have read access, is it possible to load data into dimensions?
49) what is the difference between shift and relative functions and where you used them?
50) what is a relative function?