Last updated on August 8th, 2018 at 05:57 am
ORA-01017 is one of the common error seen in PLSQL programs.
Here is what documentation says about this error
Here are the checklist to run to resolve the ORA-01017 error
- The main issue with an ORA-01017 error is an invalid user ID and passwords combination. You have to make sure ,you are entering the right password
Incase the target system is 11g, the password can be Case sensitive
You can check the parameter in the system
|SQL> SHOW PARAMETER SEC_CASE_SENSITIVE_LOGON
NAME TYPE VALUE
———————————— ———– ——————————
sec_case_sensitive_logon boolean TRUE
When the above parameter is set to true, the case sensitivity is on, You may disable it and check the connection again
|SQL> ALTER SYSTEM SET SEC_CASE_SENSITIVE_LOGON = FALSE;
And the try connecting. If it works , then you know the case sensitivity is the problem, you may want to alter the user password and write it somewhere to remember the case -sensitive password and then again enable the system parameter
|SQL> ALTER user test identified by TEST1;
- How to login as user without changing the password in Oracle database
- How to Stop the Force Password Reset on Creation of User Account
- APPLSYSPUB schema
- Guest User password in 11i/R12
2) It may be that the user ID is invalid for the target system . Check if the user ID exists as the username column in the dba_users view.
|select username from dba_users where username ='<user name>’;|
3) Check your $ORACLE_SID or $TWO_TASK environmental parameter. If your $ORACLE_SID is set to the wrong database then you may get a ORA-01017 error because you are connecting to the wrong database.
4) Check your tnsnames.ora to ensure that the TNS service is pointing to right database. You can use tnsping command to check that also
|TNS Ping Utility for Linux: Version 188.8.131.52.0 – Production on 22-JUNE-2016 23:01:06
Copyright (c) 1997, 2014, Oracle. All rights reserved.
Used parameter files:
Used TNSNAMES adapter to resolve the alias
4) You may get ORA-01017 error in dataguard environment and standby environment also
Make sure sys password is same on both the Primary and standby side. Create the orapwd file with same password on both the primary and standby side
orapwd file=’+DATA/TEST/PASSWORDFILE/oraTEST’ entries=10 dbuniquename=TEST password=<sys pass>
5) Sometimes ,there could be other reason for the error and ORA-01017 is misleading error.
You can trace the call stack by using truss or trace command
strace -o /tmp/strace_user.output -cfT sqlplus scott/tiger@test
truss -fea -o /tmp/truss_user.output sqlplus scott/tiger@test
tusc -afpo /tmp/tusc_user.output -aef sqlplus scott/tiger@test
6) This error can be encountered during active duplication also
The SYS password is not the same between the original/source database and auxiliary/duplicate database.
Perform the following steps:
1) Copy the password file from the original/source database to the auxiliary/duplicate database.
2) Run the following OS command “cksum” to check whether the password files are the same on both the original/source database and auxiliary/duplicate database.
Hope you like the content on ORA-01017 invalid username/password
ORA-00911: invalid character Common Issues and Resolution