ORA-27154 is a quite a common error which many DBA face in day to day activites.I am trying to share what i have learned to resolve it .We are starting the Oracle database and We receive below error while starting up the database
SQL> startup ORA-24323: value not allowed ORA-24323: value not allowed SQL> startup; ORA-24323: value not allowed ORA-27146: post/wait initialization failed
You may also receive an ORA-7445 error in the alert log or an ORA-3113 error.
ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel )
Alerts log shows the below error
ORA-27154: post/wait create failed ORA-27300: OS system dependent operation:semget failed with status: 28 ORA-27301: OS failure message: No space left on device ORA-27302: failure occurred at: sskgpcreates
Reasons for error may be
- You increased the processes parameter in the init file and trying to restart the database
- Server already has many database and You are adding new database to the server
- Server OS parameter has undergone the changes
- You may have stray shared segments
Resolution for ORA-27154/ORA-27146
(1) We need to either decrease the processes parameter in the database hosted on the server to accommodate the new database
(2) We can modify the semaphore kernel settings
(3)You need to remove stray shared memory segments and semaphores.
To get a list of shared memory and semaphore id’s:
To delete shared memory:
ipcrm -m <shared memory id>
To delete semaphores:
ipcrm -s <semaphore id>
Once you have removed those owned by Oracle and the dba group you should be able
to startup the database.
I hope you like this post on ORA-27154/ORA-27146. Please do share the feedback