ORA-01017 is one of the common error seen in PLSQL programs.
Here is what documentation says about this error
Here are the checklist to run to resolve the error
- The main issue with an ORA-01017 error is an invalid user ID and passwords combination. You have to make sure ,you are entering the right password
Incase the target system is 11g, the password can be Case sensitive
You can check the parameter in the system
|SQL> SHOW PARAMETER SEC_CASE_SENSITIVE_LOGON
NAME TYPE VALUE
———————————— ———– ——————————
sec_case_sensitive_logon boolean TRUE
When the above parameter is set to true, the case sensitivity is on, You may disable it and check the connection again
|SQL> ALTER SYSTEM SET SEC_CASE_SENSITIVE_LOGON = FALSE;
And the try connecting. If it works , then you know the case sensitivity is the problem, you may want to alter the user password and write it somewhere to remember the case -sensitive password and then again enable the system parameter
|SQL> ALTER user test identified by TEST1;
SQL> ALTER SYSTEM SET SEC_CASE_SENSITIVE_LOGON = TRUE;
2) It may be that the user ID is invalid for the target system . Check if the user ID exists as the username column in the dba_users view.
|select username from dba_users where username ='<user name>’;|
3) Check your $ORACLE_SID or $TWO_TASK environmental parameter. If your $ORACLE_SID is set to the wrong database then you may get a ORA-01017 error because you are connecting to the wrong database.
4) Check your tnsnames.ora to ensure that the TNS service is pointing to right database. You can use tnsping command to check that also
|TNS Ping Utility for Linux: Version 126.96.36.199.0 – Production on 22-JUNE-2016 23:01:06
Copyright (c) 1997, 2014, Oracle. All rights reserved.
Used parameter files:
Used TNSNAMES adapter to resolve the alias
Attempting to contact (DESCRIPTION = (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = techgoeasy.com)(PORT = 1521))
(CONNECT_DATA = (SERVER = DEDICATED) (SERVICE_NAME = TEST)))
OK (0 msec)
4) You may get this error in dataguard enviroment also
Make sure sys password is same on both the Primary and standby side. Create the orapwd file with same password on both the primary and standby side
With Oracle database 12c, in case Primary RAC database,we need to have password file at shared location
5) Sometimes ,there could be other reason for the error and ORA-01017 is misleading error.
You can trace the call stack by using truss or trace command
truss sqlplus scott/tiger@test
trace sqlplus scott/tiger@test
Hope you like the content on ORA-01017 invalid username/password
How to resolve the ORA-00257 error in Oracle database