We will be checking about oci block storage in this post. What is block storage and what are the features of block storage
What is Block Volume
- OCI Block storage is the NVMe SSD based storage that you can attach to any compute instance that was launched
- It can hold applications, installations, or even software binaries on it
- You can create, attach, connect, and move volumes, as needed, to meet your storage and application requirements
- Persistent and Durable Storage
Block volume: Detachable and scalable
Boot volume: Detachable
Type of Attachments
- ISCSI : TCP/IP attachments : It utilizes the internal storage stack in the guest OS and network hardware virtualization to access block volumes. Hypervisor is not involved in the iSCSI attachment process
- Paravirtualized : It is a light virtualization technique where a VM utilizes hypervisor APIs to access remote storage directly as if it were a local device
- Can be read only Sharable , read write & read/write shareable
- Are available to single AD only
- Have OCID
- AES 256 Encryption for data at rest and it is available with backup also
- Sizes from 50 G to 32 T.
- Performance vary depending on the size
- Volume per instance : 32
- Lower Cost : NO VPU (Volume Performance Unit)
- Higher Performance
Backups are done using point-in-time snapshot; therefore, while the backup is being performed in
the background asynchronously, your applications can continue to access your data without any
interruption or performance impact
- Manual and Policy based backup
- Policy based are bronze, silver and gold
- Backup can be incremental and Full
- It is safe to stop the application and then start the backup.
- Backup are stored in Object storage
- It can be restored as new volumes to any Availability Domain within the same region (for multi-AD regions)
- Backup can be restored cross region also
- A cloned volume is a point-in-time direct disk-to-disk deep copy of the source volume, so all
- the data that is in the source volume when the clone is created is copied to the clone volume.
- Any subsequent changes to the data on the source volume are not copied to the clone. Since the clone is a copy of the source volume it will be the same size as the source volume unless you specify a larger volume size when you create the clone
- The clone operation occurs immediately, and you can attach and use the cloned volume as a regular volume as soon as the state changes to available. At this point, the volume data is being copied in the background, and can take up to thirty minutes depending on the size of the volume.
- OCI Block storage service provides you with the facility to group together multiple volumes in a volume group.
- A volume group can include both types of volumes, boot volumes, which are the system disks for your Compute instances, and block volumes for your data storage.
- We can volume groups to backups and clones that are point-in-time and crash-consistent
Hope you like the post on oci block storage
oracle iaas: overview about various Oracle Cloud:Infrastructure-as-a-Service like Compute,storage,network services with various options
Linux Operating System and Distribution : Article about Linux Operation system, Kernel, Various distribution available in Market.Learn about Oracle Enterprise Linux
oracle cloud infrastructure : Oracle Infrastructure as a Service is called Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI).It offers storage,compute ,database, networking, edge services
what is cloud computing : Learn about what is cloud computing and how it can benefit organization. Various cloud model ,cloud vendors ,cloud examples
iaas paas saas : Learn about Cloud Computing Basics: iaas paas saas with offerings
OCI block storage : OCI Block storage is the NVMe SSD based storage that you can attach to any compute instance that was launched. Check out about backup,cloning
Oracle Database Migration Methods: On-Prem to Oracle Cloud : It covers different Strategies and methods that you can use to migrate from On-Prem to Oracle Cloud (OCI) along with a method to migrate from AWS RDS to OCI as well. A good and must-have course for DBA moving to Cloud platform
Building Oracle Cloud Infrastructure using Terraform 2020 : Learn about creating OCI Compute, Network, Identity, Database, Analytics resources creation using Terraform. A good course for those who want to expert in Terraform
Foundation to Oracle Database in Oracle Cloud Infrastructure : It covers Basics, Architecture, Database Deployments, Connectivity Scenarios, ADB in OCI. A quick course to start with Oracle cloud infrastructure